Resignment - Day 1
So far today I have seen Hubby off to work in our usual way. Cuppa coffee, sausage biscuits and kiss at the back door.
Then I had time to stop and consider the state of my life. That lasted about 10 seconds and then I poured a cup of coffee, checked and sent emails, did a search for and read Lubbock associated blogs, made a piece of toast, dropped and broke a full jar of homemade peach preserves, cleaned up shattered glass and peach preserves, ate toast with grape jelly, started laundry, washed dishes, hung a rug from the peach preserves disaster out front to dry, and now I'm again contemplating the state of my life. Ahhhhhhhhhh...resignment.
Resignment is a cross between retirement and voluntary unemployment. Yesterday was my last day at work at TTU...after 14 years. It was not an easy decision, particularly because I was a few years shy of the much preferred retirement. But I am vested and will draw my retirement in awhile and in the meantime I will begin what seems a bit scary...sort of a new life.
I'd stop way short of saying a life of leisure and yet it will hopefully be somewhat more leisurely. I'll keep my precious grandchildren 3 days each week. Have more time for the old folks (they know I call them that - they call me Elder based on my being the oldest of the sibs).
I'll also work and travel with Hubby. My task for now is booking and organizing all his solo travel arrangements and going with him on trips that are something more than a quick down & back. Our first trip will be next weekend to Mt. Pleasant. The following week will be a five day trip to two locations in California and a stop in Vegas. In early July we will be in Albuquerque for 2 days. (In the Fall I will begin work p/t at Hubby's office, doing travel arrangements for all the employees.)
I'll be doing these things in addition to the usual - house (I'm not giving up my twice monthly house keeper though...you can't make me!), bills, groceries, cooking, laundry etc., etc., etc.
Oh yes, no matter how it has to be worked in, I'll set aside time for friends. Although I'm somewhat reticent (and rumored to be sweet), I am a social person and will miss my friends and colleagues from TTU. So we will make time for lunches, movie dates, gab fests, art tours and shopping.
ttfn
merri
p.s. I'm going to start posting some of my "art". I hope to get my sis to assist me with better photos of the paintings and polymer clay creations I've made. I'll be attending another Art Unraveled conference in August and can't wait for the workshops and networking with other artsy crafty types!
Then I had time to stop and consider the state of my life. That lasted about 10 seconds and then I poured a cup of coffee, checked and sent emails, did a search for and read Lubbock associated blogs, made a piece of toast, dropped and broke a full jar of homemade peach preserves, cleaned up shattered glass and peach preserves, ate toast with grape jelly, started laundry, washed dishes, hung a rug from the peach preserves disaster out front to dry, and now I'm again contemplating the state of my life. Ahhhhhhhhhh...resignment.
- Retirement - a: an act of retiring : the state of being retired b : withdrawal from one's position or occupation or from active working life c : the age at which one normally retires
- Resign - 1 : RELEGATE, CONSIGN; especially : to give (oneself) over without resistance
2 : to give up deliberately; especially:... to give up one's office or position : QUIT2 : to accept something as inevitable : SUBMIT
Resignment is a cross between retirement and voluntary unemployment. Yesterday was my last day at work at TTU...after 14 years. It was not an easy decision, particularly because I was a few years shy of the much preferred retirement. But I am vested and will draw my retirement in awhile and in the meantime I will begin what seems a bit scary...sort of a new life.
I'd stop way short of saying a life of leisure and yet it will hopefully be somewhat more leisurely. I'll keep my precious grandchildren 3 days each week. Have more time for the old folks (they know I call them that - they call me Elder based on my being the oldest of the sibs).
I'll also work and travel with Hubby. My task for now is booking and organizing all his solo travel arrangements and going with him on trips that are something more than a quick down & back. Our first trip will be next weekend to Mt. Pleasant. The following week will be a five day trip to two locations in California and a stop in Vegas. In early July we will be in Albuquerque for 2 days. (In the Fall I will begin work p/t at Hubby's office, doing travel arrangements for all the employees.)
I'll be doing these things in addition to the usual - house (I'm not giving up my twice monthly house keeper though...you can't make me!), bills, groceries, cooking, laundry etc., etc., etc.
Oh yes, no matter how it has to be worked in, I'll set aside time for friends. Although I'm somewhat reticent (and rumored to be sweet), I am a social person and will miss my friends and colleagues from TTU. So we will make time for lunches, movie dates, gab fests, art tours and shopping.
ttfn
merri
p.s. I'm going to start posting some of my "art". I hope to get my sis to assist me with better photos of the paintings and polymer clay creations I've made. I'll be attending another Art Unraveled conference in August and can't wait for the workshops and networking with other artsy crafty types!
Below: First Nude, mixed-media, altered book page.


2 Comments:
At 12:46 PM ,
Anonymous said...
we really miss you being here too! it takes courage to make major changes though and you are handling it well. this is the coolest blog I've ever seen! it makes sense and I can really relate to several of the posts you've written. keep it up!
At 7:20 AM ,
Mary said...
Thanks much. I miss all of you ladies so much. CHeck back often. I try to post something at least once a week.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home